[webkit-dev] WebKit opengl

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Aug 1 14:44:22 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Nagendra K <pingnagendra at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I actually have a embedded device with opengl es 1.1 and WebKit which
> is 7 years old, now requirement is to update the WebKit using the
> same opengles1.1 i.e. no option to update opengles1.1.
> So as you said we need opengles2 or opengl4 to upgrade WebKit as
> WebKit has dependencies with opengl for some features. Is this
> correct?
> Do I any other option to do this.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Nagendra

Hi Nagendra,

You are not going to get WebKit working with OpenGLES 1.1 unless you
have an experienced engineer making large modifications to the source
code. Instead, you should just turn off OpenGL/OpenGLES support. Just
build with -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF. It is optional, you just lose hardware
acceleration. You should hopefully have no trouble with this.

If you have a requirement to use OpenGLES regardless, then you may need
to reevaluate the feasibility of your project.

Good luck,

Michael