[webkit-dev] Client Hints

Yoav Weiss yoav at yoav.ws
Tue Apr 28 08:43:29 PDT 2015

And (Re) Posting Mark's response from April 25th, for the same reasons.

> On 24 Apr 2015, at 2:32 pm, Ilya Grigorik <ilya at igvita.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>> Is the Internet-Draft for this planned to become a standards-track RFC?
Is there an IETF Working Group that has adopted it?
> Yes, and as part of the HTTP WG. /cc mnot

To be clear, it hasn't been adopted yet, but we have discussed it, and I
suspect we will at some point in the not-too-distant future.

>> On the spec contents: I’m wary of the fact that the header names are
very opaque. That’s not in the HTTP tradition, where header names are
generally human-readable. I am skeptical that the HTTP WG would be
satisfied with these header names as-is.
> I believe the intent with the short names was to minimize impact on the
network, since the headers will be sent with every sub-resource requests
once the server has opted-in. With that said, you're not the first to make
that comment, so I'm open to modify that, especially since HTTP/2 makes
this consideration irrelevant.

Regarding the concern about the WG feeling — actually, there's a strong
preference for shorter names, as long as it really is something that's
going to be on the wire a lot. Roy in particular gets grouchy at long names.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/