[webkit-dev] Notifying PageClient when page transition has begun

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Thu Jul 25 09:48:27 PDT 2013

On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Thiago Lacerda <thiago.lacerda at openbossa.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We in the Nix port team (which is going upstream), are facing an issue that we need our WebView to know when the page transition has begun.
> There was callback, in PageClient, that was making a similar job, called didCommitLoadForMainFrame, but it was removed recently.

If by “PageClient” you mean the WKPageLoaderClient in WKPage.h, then didCommitLoadForFrame is there.

I don’t even recall there ever being a didCommitLoadForMainFrame, but didCommitLoadForFrame combined with a quick call to WKPageGetMainFrame will do the exact same thing.

> WebPage does have a callback that tells this (didStartPageTransition), but this is not forwarded to UIProcess, which is kind of weird, since its opposite (didCompletePageTransition) is fired to PageClient when a page has completed its transition.

didStartPageTransition is about starting a provisional load, and didCompletePageTransition is *not* about committing a provisional load.  Additionally, neither of these are actually sent to any API clients;  They are internal to WebPage.

If you think didCommitLoadForFrame() for the main frame was what you wanted, then both of these are irrelevant anyways.

> I have a patch that does forward the didPageStartTransition to UIProcess and I would like to know what you guys think of that. Does this seems useful to you as well?

Since - at this point in my response - I’m not sure what you want or what you’re talking about, I would say no it does not seem useful.

~Brady