[webkit-dev] Notifying PageClient when page transition has begun

Thiago Lacerda thiago.lacerda at openbossa.org
Thu Jul 25 10:10:59 PDT 2013

Hi Brady

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Thiago Lacerda <thiago.lacerda at openbossa.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We in the Nix port team (which is going upstream), are facing an issue
> that we need our WebView to know when the page transition has begun.
>
> There was callback, in PageClient, that was making a similar job, called
> didCommitLoadForMainFrame, but it was removed recently.
>

> If by “PageClient” you mean the WKPageLoaderClient in WKPage.h, then
> didCommitLoadForFrame is there.
>
> I don’t even recall there ever being a didCommitLoadForMainFrame, but
> didCommitLoadForFrame combined with a quick call to WKPageGetMainFrame will
> do the exact same thing.

By PageClient I mean the one in Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/PageClient.h
(which WebView inherits from)

> WebPage does have a callback that tells this (didStartPageTransition), but
> this is not forwarded to UIProcess, which is kind of weird, since its
> opposite (didCompletePageTransition) is fired to PageClient when a page has
> completed its transition.
>

> didStartPageTransition is about starting a provisional load, and
> didCompletePageTransition is *not* about committing a provisional load.
>  Additionally, neither of these are actually sent to any API clients;  They
> are internal to WebPage.
>
> If you think didCommitLoadForFrame() for the main frame was what you
> wanted, then both of these are irrelevant anyways.

didCompletePageTransition is forwarded to the C API client.
In WebPage it calls WebPageProxy::pageTransitionViewportReady ->
WebView(inheriting PageClient)::pageTransitionViewportReady ->
WebViewClient::didCompletePageTransition

> I have a patch that does forward the didPageStartTransition to UIProcess
> and I would like to know what you guys think of that. Does this seems
> useful to you as well?
>

> Since - at this point in my response - I’m not sure what you want or what
> you’re talking about, I would say no it does not seem useful.
>
> ~Brady

Cheers

--
Thiago de Barros Lacerda