[webkit-dev] Common build system (was Re: WebKit Wishes)

Mark Mentovai mark at chromium.org
Tue Feb 5 13:36:50 PST 2013

The run time comparisons were based on actual comparison with available
Python modules at the time. JSON was substantially slower than having the
Python interpreter slurp it up on its own. In fact, GYP started out reading
JSON input and we switched it to Python once we learned this. It was four
years ago, and I don’t have the numbers handy anymore.

In the end, I don’t think that the actual syntax (as opposed to the
structured data that it contains) is all that important. GYP input files
are fairly simple structured data consisting of very few types: dicts,
lists, strings, and infrequent bools and ints. Any extant or nascent format
that can handle these is a candidate. If there’s some kind of convergence
on a beautiful one that’s easy to maintain and quick to parse, there’s no
reason GYP can’t be taught to read it, even alongside the existing
JSON-esque format that’s fed to the Python interpreter. If this is the only
thing standing between a project and its adopting GYP, then it’s a really
easy one to get over.