[webkit-dev] Common build system (was Re: WebKit Wishes)

Per Bothner per.bothner at oracle.com
Tue Feb 5 13:47:32 PST 2013

On 02/05/2013 12:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I have to say that the syntax weight of gyp files (quotes, commas, braces, brackets) makes them feel harder to read and edit than other build file formats designed for human consumption (obviously Xcode is worse).

Ant is pretty verbose as well, partially due to the XML syntax.
It is sometimes generated by tools (IDEs) and sometime written
by hand.

(Because Ant is implemented in Java and primarily aimed at building
Java projects, it's not a good match for WebKit, regardless.)
--
	--Per Bothner
per.bothner at oracle.com   per at bothner.com   http://per.bothner.com/