[webkit-dev] Common build system (was Re: WebKit Wishes)

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Tue Feb 5 13:13:29 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> I have to say that the syntax weight of gyp files (quotes, commas, braces,
> brackets) makes them feel harder to read and edit than other build file
> formats designed for human consumption (obviously Xcode is worse).

As much as I don't like Xcode project file, they are not to be edited by
hand.
It is easy to edit Xcode project file because there is a graphical tool
that makes the task easy. There is no such tool for gyp so its syntax is
important.

TestExpectations is a success story of making unreadable files, readable.
We should consider it for gyp if it were to become the standard tool for
everyone.

Benjamin