[webkit-dev] Feature removal: CSS variables

Jon Rimmer jon.rimmer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:40:26 PDT 2013

On 8 April 2013 00:54, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> This conversation will be more productive if we base it on fact, and not commonly repeated narrative.

A fact about an opinion is still a fact, and the opinion that Google
were dragging the project along is real. That removing features
instead of enabling them may bolster that opinion seems indisputable.

You may disagree with that opinion, or simply not care about it, which
is fine, but the rest of my argument was not predicated on it. It was
on the use cases that make this feature important, the nuances that
have lead to occasional developer hostility, the support from other
browser vendors, the support from the W3C, and the likely cost of
taking over maintenance now vs reviving it after it has rotted away in
version history for however long.

If I'm wrong about any of that, or wrong that Google's departure
reduces the project's engineering strength, then I'm happy to hear
about it.

Jon Rimmer