[webkit-dev] Cleaning House

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Thu Apr 4 00:30:10 PDT 2013

Hi folks.

Since we no longer need to support the Chromium port, let's take the opportunity to streamline. Hopefully, this will make development easier and more coherent for everyone. Adam and Eric offered to do some of this cleanup, but I think it's healthier for people who will continue to be a part of WebKit to decide what gets cleaned up, and execute on the plan.

Below is a high-level view of some improvements we're planning over the coming weeks.

Concepts we plan to remove:
	Layering violations in WebCore/platform, where a Page* or Frame* is passed to a function
	Supplementable and Supplement
	#if USE(GOOGLEURL)
	#if USE(V8)
	#if !USE(JSC)
	#if PLATFORM(CHROMIUM)
	Skia
	DOMFileSystem
	WebLayer and its scrolling implementation
	Features #defines that haven't gained traction

Specific files we plan to remove:
	.gyp build files
	WebCore/bindings/v8
	WebCore/bindings/scripts/*v8*
	LayoutTests/platform/chromium*
	WebKit/chromium
	WTF/wtf/chromium
	WebCore/platform/chromium
	WebCore/*Chromium*
	Source/Platform/chromium
	ManualTests/chromium/
	Tools/BuildSlaveSupport/chromium/
	Tools/DumpRenderTree/chromium/

Also:
	Adopt libc++

Please let me know if you have other suggestions for improvements, or if you see something in the list that shouldn't be there.

Thanks,
Geoff