[webkit-dev] Cleaning House

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Apr 4 01:22:03 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Since we no longer need to support the Chromium port, let's take the
> opportunity to streamline. Hopefully, this will make development easier and
> more coherent for everyone. Adam and Eric offered to do some of this
> cleanup, but I think it's healthier for people who will continue to be a
> part of WebKit to decide what gets cleaned up, and execute on the plan.
>
> Below is a high-level view of some improvements we're planning over the
> coming weeks.
>
> Concepts we plan to remove:
>         Layering violations in WebCore/platform, where a Page* or Frame*
> is passed to a function
>         Supplementable and Supplement
>         #if USE(GOOGLEURL)
>         #if USE(V8)
>         #if !USE(JSC)
>         #if PLATFORM(CHROMIUM)
>         Skia
>         DOMFileSystem
>         WebLayer and its scrolling implementation
>         Features #defines that haven't gained traction
>
> Specific files we plan to remove:
>         .gyp build files
>         WebCore/bindings/v8
>         WebCore/bindings/scripts/*v8*
>         LayoutTests/platform/chromium*
>         WebKit/chromium
>         WTF/wtf/chromium
>         WebCore/platform/chromium
>         WebCore/*Chromium*
>         Source/Platform/chromium
>         ManualTests/chromium/
>         Tools/BuildSlaveSupport/chromium/
>         Tools/DumpRenderTree/chromium/
>
> Also:
>         Adopt libc++
>
> Please let me know if you have other suggestions for improvements, or if
> you see something in the list that shouldn't be there.

FWIW, mrobinson has been working on a GYP build for the GTK port, so I
wouldn't delete all of the .gyp files (at least not w/o them weighing in on
it). I thought there was some interest at Apple in also using GYP, but
perhaps things have (or will) change given that interop w/ Chromium is no
longer the big plus it would've been.

-- Dirk