[webkit-dev] Feature Request: Dynamic Application Cache

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Sat Nov 17 11:57:16 PST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 7:47 AM, sridharn <sridhar.ndroid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any updates / plans for this feature ??

What feature?

> I do agree with  Stefan on this ..
> I've been banging my head on how
> to  cache video files using html 5 storage features and there just doesn't
> seem to be a straightforward way
> (they all are currently intended for small size text / mobile webkit doesn't
> support file system and blah blah)
> to do that and feel appcache is cleaner way going forward too for media
> files ..

Where are you seeing this not work?

At least on the Apple port you should be able to stick audio/video in the app cache.  There are a handful of bugzillas that show this work being done a long time ago.

If it's not working for you, I look forward to reading the bug you file at bugs.webkit.org.

> Also, mobile webkit (chrome/safari in ios4) don't seem to appcache mp3 files
> (~5MB) .. Is this a known issue ?

iOS4 is ancient.  I forget when this first shipped but it should work in iOS6.

> This should hopefully go away once the dynamic mechanism is added I hope ..

Again, not sure precisely which dynamic mechanism you're talking about since you included no context in your email, but I don't see how a dynamic app cache mechanism is related to the app cache supporting media, which it does.

~Brady