[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Mar 9 08:33:44 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Can you be more specific? What do you find wanting in the git workflow
> besides the few cases raised by svn users (such as "svn up" that can be
> supported in update-webkit)?

I'm also annoyed by now git diff works since I almost always want "git diff
master" as I said in another thread. There are a number of other things I
don't like about git. Also, I think I'd prefer mercurial over git for its
saner behavior and terminologies if we're switching to a different VCS but
I'm not about to start a thread for that.

Quite frankly, moving to git will make my workflow worse regardless of
improvements... It's like forcing me to use Linux instead of Windows/Mac.
I'll do it if the overwhelming majority of the community thinks that's a
good thing but I won't be happy about it.

I think if we address the main issues raised by the svn users, the current
> consensus (if representative) seems to point towards an overwhelming
> support (and demand?) for git over svn. On that point it's reasonable to
> say that we're heading towards option #1 or #2 of Maciej. As such, I'm
> humbly proposing the following (hopefully without getting ahead of myself):

Frankly, I don't quite understand the benefit of this transition. Do we
really need to move to git? If the only problem of keeping svn was about
svn-apply being broken, I'm more than happy to fix that script.

A) Address as many of the issues raised by the svn users and streamline
> their use-cases in the current scripts on top of git that we can (this
> would leave generation numbers out of scope as it's a git issue, although
> we can push that on git's mail-list). Address any current issues that
> (advanced/seasoned) git users find wanting/missing to have a solid system
> that capitalizes on the powers of git as much as possible.

I'd argue that generation numbers is a requirement for this transition.
Monotonically increasing number is one major benefit of using svn server.
Also, ideally, this generation number will be consisnte with the existing
svn revision numbers so that if N is the last revision committed to the svn
repository then the first commit in the git repository should have the
generation number of N+1.

- Ryosuke