[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Ashod Nakashian ashodnakashian at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 07:14:33 PST 2012

>________________________________

Can you be more specific? What do you find wanting in the git workflow besides the few cases raised by svn users (such as "svn up" that can be supported in update-webkit)?

I think if we address the main issues raised by the svn users, the current consensus (if representative) seems to point towards an overwhelming support (and demand?) for git over svn. On that point it's reasonable to say that we're heading towards option #1 or #2 of Maciej. As such, I'm humbly proposing the following (hopefully without getting ahead of myself):

A) Address as many of the issues raised by the svn users and streamline their use-cases in the current scripts on top of git that we can (this would leave generation numbers out of scope as it's a git issue, although we can push that on git's mail-list). Address any current issues that (advanced/seasoned) git users find wanting/missing to have a solid system that capitalizes on the powers of git as much as possible.

B) Plan a phase-out schedule for svn repo, servers and scripts and mainlining git (this needs input from ops and those who can assess the overhead involved - something I'm ignorant of). Offer the option of having svn mirror (however realistic that is, I can't tell) keeping in mind the overhead of maintaining the svn scripts.

If we don't do anything we'll be supporting both systems, scripts, docs etc. with little advantage but having the choice of both systems (status-quo). If we start moving towards git I think we'll end up with the reverse situation than what we have now (git mainline, svn mirror) and, assuming the majority use git and there are more benefits to git over svn, then WebKit will benefit more that way than the case is now. However, having said that, something tells me the remaining svn users will probably switch to git sooner rather than later.

(Disclaimer: I enjoy svn as much as the next guy, but I think git offers enough power to justify the overhead of learning/adapting/migrating to it. In addition, as many pointed out, no one has to use all the power features and the svn-equivalent day-to-day ones can be automated transparently by current (and new) scripts.)

-Ash