[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at nokia.com
Fri Mar 9 00:24:32 PST 2012

On 09.03.12 01:36, Aaron Boodman wrote:
> I think it would look the same, except for instead of monotonically
> increasing decimal numbers in the "revision" column, you'd see random
> hexadecimal ones (typically 6-8 digits long).

It would be possible to use 'git describe' [1] to give something like this:

   r-110272-g19c9e9c7

If we tag the initial commit in the repository as 'r'. The number refers
to the number of commits after the tag 'r'.

We could optionally tag WebKit versions, and get something like:

   v525.19-12345-g19c9e9c7

Meaning 12345 commits after v525.19 was tagged. Doing the latter does
not prevent the former, as you can use --match r to force the initial tag.

tor arne

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/git-describe