[webkit-dev] Debugging With Xcode

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Mon Apr 23 18:14:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:

> On 2012-04-23, at 18:02, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> Does anyone still debug WebKit on Mac OS X with Xcode 4?
>

> 1.  I don't know how to actually set up Xcode to point to WebKitBuild
> like it used to.
> http://www.webkit.org/building/debug.html
> Mentions a "Legacy" option which does not exist for me.

I also didn't manage to make it work for me also. I managed to get
Safari launching (after a long wait) but when running debug it doesn't
stop on the breakpoints.

> This page was updated recently to reflect the terminology used in the
> current version of Xcode. The diff may provide the information you need to
> get this working in earlier versions of Xcode.
>
> 2.  Xcode tries to "Re-index" WebCore, seemingly every time I open
> WebCore.xcodeproj.  This is a hour+ process on my 12-core Mac Pro!
>
> The re-indexing takes a lot of processing power, and seems to render
> both my machine, and Xcode largely unusable.
>

> That's interesting. If you're seeing that with the latest released version
> of Xcode then I'd strongly suggest filing a bug report at
> <http://bugreport.apple.com/> so that the Xcode folks can address it.

I also noticed the same, every git pull start to re-index the entire
project and my old MacBook Pro almost die away after that.

I use the latest Mac App store version.

Additional question : is it possible to actually build WebCore or any
subproject (JSC, ...) from XCode so you could get a fancy ui for
compilation issues (maybe provided you already ran once build-webkit)
?

> - Mark

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer