[webkit-dev] New feature flag proposal: Joystick API

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Thu Oct 6 11:12:50 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> I share Simon's concern that that providing low level access to every
> possible controller creates fragmentation, with purportedly "HTML" content
> that only works on a few devices. There is no clear cut border here - it's
> been mentioned that even touch events can be seen as rare - and then I
> advocate that adding more mouse specific events is a bad idea for the same
> reason.
>
> As we add joystick/gamepad support, should steering wheels be next on the
> agenda? 3d mice?

Would you mind raising this concern in the relevant standards body (in this
case, webevents-public at w3.org seems to be relevant)?  Debating issues with
standards on webkit-dev is unproductive - it does not include all parties
who have an interest, in particular other browser vendors and web
developers, and it does include a lot of WebKit developers who probably
aren't interested.

- James