[webkit-dev] Why is gtest in the Source directory?

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Thu May 12 11:33:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> Here's a straw-man proposal:
>
> Tests/

 -- All testing code.  Do test harnesses go here too?

 Layout/  # Would be nice to have a better name since these test much
> more than Layout

DumpRenderTreeTests?
Integration?
AutomatedHtmlTests?

>  Performance/
>  Unit/

with a directory structure that mirrors Source for the tests

>  Manual/
> Source/

 -- Only the source code necessary for building WebKit.

>  JavaScriptCore/
>  WebCore/
>  WebKit/
>  ThirdParty/
>    ANGLE/
> Tools/
>  WebKitTestRunner/

 MiniBrowser/
>  Scripts/

In this organization, gtest probably doesn't belong in Source because
> it's not a dependency of WebKit.

I agree but I felt like it lacked explicit definition, so I added some.

>  It probably belongs somewhere in
> Tests.  Maybe inside the Unit directory somewhere?

I think so. I wonder why we wouldn't put all tests related code under Tests.
For example WebKitTestRunner, DumpRenderTree, CSSTestSuiteHarness seem to
fit in that category and be similar in some ways to gtest in that they are
the test harness.