[webkit-dev] Why is gtest in the Source directory?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu May 12 11:48:24 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 11:33 AM, David Levin wrote:

> Layout/  # Would be nice to have a better name since these test much
> more than Layout
>
> DumpRenderTreeTests?
> Integration?
> AutomatedHtmlTests?

Here are some characteristics of these tests that may help us name the directory:

    1) This is the primary suite of WebKit tests.
    2) These tests are all automated.
    3) These tests all include an expected result (broadly including future addition of reftests).
    4) These tests are regression tests; most are designed to catch any changes in behavior, not just detect failure.
    5) These tests consist of HTML or SVG markup, with CSS and JavaScript, much like webpages in the wild.
    6) Most of these tests can also be run by opening them in a web browser.
    7) Most of these tests are designed to test end-to-end, although some are more like unit tests.

I don’t think they should be named after DumpRenderTree because that name is itself a misnomer.

I think that (7) above does fit with the name Integration, but that name still doesn’t work so well for me.

Despite (5) above I don’t love the idea of having HTML in the name when we can accommodate SVG tests too.

    -- Darin