[webkit-dev] Adding ENABLE_BATTERY_STATUS to WebCore

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Jun 15 10:15:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreip at google.com> wrote:

> Because it would know not to start doing things that drain the
> battery. For instance, powering up a 3G antenna to download your
> latest emails could be annoying to users if the battery level is too
> low. 3G takes quite a bit of power and the device would be in danger
> of powering down.

Isn't what you want to use the current battery level?  It doesn't really
matter whether a battery is charging or not if the current battery level is
low because the user might decide to unplug the device as soon as you
started downloading something, in which case, the device can power off if
the batter level is low.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org> wrote:

> To answer your question (and leaving aside I am wrong about the isPlugged),
> in
> the example[1] one uses isPlugged + charge level to change the polling
> interval. My point was that just because I have a charger attached, doesn't
> mean that the device is not emptying the battery (be it I do not have
> enough
> current on the USB outlet, a USB hub...).

I'd argue that isPlugged should be false in such a case.

- Ryosuke