[webkit-dev] Building Chromium port of WebKit on Windows

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Thu Aug 25 09:55:21 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at chromium.org> wrote:
> The way I make this work is to set up a full Chromium checkout with a trunk
> (rather than DEPS-controlled) WebKit checkout.  (There are some instructions
> for this in the Chromium developer pages.)  Then I can use VS2008 to build
> and test whatever I want.  And I use Cygwin.
> I don't know much about trying to build the Chromium port with only a WebKit
> (not Chrome) checkout, especially under Cygwin.  I don't know how many
> people try to make that work.

To elaborate on this, because it is also what I do and I recently
answered some questions about how it works:
- With a WebKit-inside-Chrome checkout you still get all of the same
build targets, like DumpRenderTree.
- The one downside is that you will be using WebKit with the Chromium
DEPS, which sometimes diverge from the WebKit DEPS.  But the intent is
for the dependency sets to stay the same, so they get back into sync
quickly.  This only really affects you if you are making changes in a
shared dependency (like Skia).
- I suppose, now that I'm listing problems, another downside is that
your build project files are larger which may slow down your IDE or
eat more memory.  (This hasn't been an issue for me but I develop on
Linux.)

To summarize, you don't need to build WebKit as a separate checkout
from Chrome to develop WebKit, which means if you get a Chrome build
working you're good to go on WebKit as well.  As far as I understand
it all the build-webkit scripts are just to make the bots happy.