[webkit-dev] Web developer documentation - working with Mozilla

henry.haverinen at nokia.com henry.haverinen at nokia.com
Thu Mar 18 08:53:28 PDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 12:20 AM, ext Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:55 AM, henry.haverinen at nokia.com wrote:
>

>> I'm working for the Qt port of WebKit, and we're currently
>> considering different ways of creating web developer
>> documentation for our users.
>>
>> We don't currently have any documentation for web developers We'd
>> like to start with best practice articles and tutorials for some
>> HTML5 and CSS3 features but later extend to the basics and general
>> reference guides too.

> We have a rough start on some developer documentation on webkit.org:
> <http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebDevelopers>

That's nice to have. Ideally, we should have a neutral, vendor independent place for
working on WebKit documentation, for example at the webkit.org wiki.

A problem with the current wiki is that we don't have a clear license for the content and
the modifications that the contributors make , so it's not clear if we could redistribute
the documentation for example with our SDK.

Should we have a fresh start with a new section in the wiki that has an explicit license policy?
Maybe we should use the same license as Mozilla to make it easy to share stuff.

> We could also autogenerate a documentation skeleton from the lists of
> elements, attributes, and DOM interfaces that are actually found in
> the source code.
>
> There is a mostly autogenerated DOM reference on developer.apple.com: <http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/WebKitDOMRef/index.html
>>

> Also documentation of CSS rules:
> <http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariCSSRef/Introduction.html
>>

> We could easily autogenerate something similar for webkit.org if we
> cared to.

That'd be excellent! Are the tools that you use for autogenerating the Apple documentation openly available?

> I'd personally rather not send people looking for WebKit Web developer
> documentation to mozilla.org. Cross-browser documentation is useful,
> but WebKit-specific documentation is useful too.

I agree we need WebKit specific documentation, and sometimes we need to be specific about the port of WebKit too,
at least when documenting for example the QtWebKit version where a certain feature was first supported.

I wouldn't mind working on the Mozilla site -- they seem to be open towards having WebKit specific docs there --
but I would be happy to work on a webkit specific resource too.

Regards,
Henry