[webkit-dev] Web developer documentation - working with Mozilla

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Mar 17 16:20:56 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:55 AM, henry.haverinen at nokia.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working for the Qt port of WebKit, and we're currently
> considering different ways of creating web developer
> documentation for our users.
>
> We don't currently have any documentation for web developers We'd
> like to start with best practice articles and tutorials for some
> HTML5 and CSS3 features but later extend to the basics and general
> reference guides too.
>
> Would anyone else be interested in contributing to an open
> documentation asset for web developers working with WebKit?
> The differences between the ports are not too big, so by working
> together we could create a very nice documentation asset quickly.
>
> I've had some discussions with Mozilla folks, who are working
> towards making their developer site at developer.mozilla.org
> more general and separating the Gecko specific parts more clearly
> from the generic parts. The Mozilla site uses
> a Creative Commons attribution-share alike license, which would
> allow us to easily share and adapt documentation
> between projects and ports. I think it's important to have a clearly
> defined contribution model and licensing for the docs,
> and developer.mozilla.org seems to have that in place.
>
> So we're considering to start contributing web developer
> documentation for QtWebKit to developer.mozilla.org, partly by
> by verifying that the existing articles cover QtWebKit too, and
> perhaps partly by contributing new articles.
>
> Any feedback or comments to these ideas would be greatly
> appreciated  :-)

We have a rough start on some developer documentation on webkit.org:
<http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebDevelopers>

We could also autogenerate a documentation skeleton from the lists of
elements, attributes, and DOM interfaces that are actually found in
the source code.

There is a mostly autogenerated DOM reference on developer.apple.com: <http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/WebKitDOMRef/index.html

Also documentation of CSS rules:
<http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariCSSRef/Introduction.html

We could easily autogenerate something similar for webkit.org if we
cared to.

I'd personally rather not send people looking for WebKit Web developer
documentation to mozilla.org. Cross-browser documentation is useful,
but WebKit-specific documentation is useful too.