[webkit-dev] are there any known or suspected memory issues with webkit?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 21 17:51:33 PST 2010

> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] are there any known or suspected memory issues with webkit?
> From: mjs at apple.com
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:19:58 -0800
> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
>

> On Feb 21, 2010, at 4:14 AM, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>

>> The reason I ask is because I thought there were some concerns about
>> leaks
>> ( probably just stuff I saw skimming various google hits ) and I have
>> seen firefox and iceweasel light up my disk on very simple things
>> ( like
>> typing stuff into forms). As I started looking through the code,
>> one of the first things I saw was something that looked like a hash
>> table
>> of previously used pages- are there static "junk bins" of strong
>> references
>> and stuff like that that could create memory leaks as they
>> accumulate stuff
>> and never get cleaned or pruned?
>
> We try to fix leaks when we find out about them. I suspect there are
> some in the code now.

Apparently you are using ref counts everywhere? While
I'm stuck with these in java, I've never been fond of that but
I guess sometimes they work well.

> I don't know what you mean about "junk bins". Content from previously

You've never read any of my code then :) Anytime I see a collection that
looks like it just indiscriminantly collects a history of something or
may be used to track stuff ( so you don't forget to delete it LOL).,
I just call that a junk bin. Presumably you'd want these to be weak refs
in many cases...

> used pages would be in either the resource memory cache or the page
> cache, both of which are capped in size.

ok, that's fine again I was just skimming looking for suspects while
trying to do other things.

> Help diagnosing and fixing leaks (and "pseudo-leaks" from ever-growing
> referenced data structures) is always welcome.

Once I have some idea what is going on sure :)
I guess there were two issues that I intermixed- locality which is by design
and the leak which is generally a bug...