[webkit-dev] Specification of deviations or specializations from CSS standard?

Leo Meyerovich lmeyerov at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 21 20:34:46 PST 2010

I'm trying to write a (executable and analyzable) model of CSS2.1 (and
some of 3). Much of the CSS standard is intentionally undefined to give
leeway to browsers; however, that doesn't make it clear what browsers
actually do (esp. when features interact). In hopes of tightening the
standards etc., I'm trying to build models of what browsers actually do.
Are there writeups of how WebKit deviates from the standard or what it
picks as an interpretation for unspecified behavior in the standard? In
particular, writeups closer to
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-tables-algorithms/Overview.src.htm than say
the Quirksmode analyses.

My process has been to reverse engineer through tests and go through
WebKit source code but there is obviously a lot of noise and missed
detail this way. I'm not sure what the ideal correspondence between spec
and implementation is, but I suspect having an analyzable/queryable
non-performance oriented specification of what the WebKit algorithms are
doing would help.

Thanks in advance,

- Leo