[webkit-dev] More thoughts on cleaning up the root directory

Patrick Gansterer paroga at paroga.com
Mon Dec 27 03:58:26 PST 2010

Hi,

also thank you for leading the reorg.

Adam Barth:

> Here's a snapshot of my current thinking on where the files and
> folders currently in the top-level directory might go.
>
> There are a bunch of build-system related files that are currently in
> the root.  I'm not sure whether we should leave them in there or move
> them into Sources somewhere.  I'm tempted to put them into Sources so
> that Sources is self-contained package of all the stuff you need to
> build WebKit.  That said, having a top-level Makefile that kicks off
> the whole process also seems reasonable.

If we keep a top level Makefile we also need to keep all "== UNSURE ==" files.
IMHO it's better to move all build related stuff into Sources. Then you only need the Sources directory to build WebKit.

> Sources/
>  automake/
>  cmake/
>  JavaScriptCore/
>  JavaScriptGlue/
>  Platform/ (was WebCore/platform)

If you move WebCore/platform into Sources, you should also move all the platform stuff of WTF into this directory.
I don't think this is a good idea, because this leads to WTF and WebCore namespace in one directory and that's confusing.
Also the fact, that not all of the code in WebCore/platform is platform dependent, is a point against this move.

> PerformanceTests/
>  PageLoad/ (was PageLoadTests)
>  SunSpider/
>  HTMLParser/ (was WebCore/benchmarks/parser)

A XML parser benchmark will land soon (bug 51612), so "Parser" might be a better name instead of "HTMLParser".

- Patrick