[webkit-dev] Back/forward cache for pages with unload handlers

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Wed Sep 16 11:23:08 PDT 2009

> Given some of our (Chromium-team) recent investigation into the
> contents of unload handlers, I'm not sure how much this move will
> help users, even if you don't revert it.  Lots of unload handlers
> busy-wait while doing async XHR in order to try to guarantee
> delivery of tracking pings.  Authors will probably elect to copy
> this code to the pagehide handler rather than moving it, and the
> experience for users is still going to be extremely sluggish
> navigation out of these pages.

While it's great that you've made improvements for unload handlers (or
maybe not-so-great, since you made them only in v8), this seems like a
non-sequitor to a discussion of the back-forward cache.

Prior to r48388, things that could make the back button slow:
1. An unload handler in the page you're leaving.
2. Reloading the page you're going back to.

Post r48388, things that could make the back button slow:
1. An unload handler in the page you're leaving.

Geoff