[webkit-dev] Back/forward cache for pages with unload handlers

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Sep 16 11:14:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> I perceive the worse case outcome of the experiment to be that we change
> the behavior back, but we will have educated web developers about pagehide
> and evangelized at least a few of them into switching over.

When you blog about this, make sure to make it clear to developers that they
need to detect whether pagehide is available rather than sniffing the UA
string for WebKit (even "WebKit version >= x") since other WebKit-based
browsers without a bfcache won't have this.

Given some of our (Chromium-team) recent investigation into the contents of
unload handlers, I'm not sure how much this move will help users, even if
you don't revert it.  Lots of unload handlers busy-wait while doing async
XHR in order to try to guarantee delivery of tracking pings.  Authors will
probably elect to copy this code to the pagehide handler rather than moving
it, and the experience for users is still going to be extremely sluggish
navigation out of these pages.

PK