[webkit-dev] Keypress event for ctrl+key and/or ⌘+key?

Erik Arvidsson arv at chromium.org
Mon Oct 19 17:18:18 PDT 2009

I'm trying to clean up some inconsistencies with when keypress events
are dispatched.

WebKit's key event model is modeled to be compatible with Internet
Explorer and Internet Explorer does not fire keypress for Ctrl+key [1]

Safari Win does not fire any keypress events when ctrl is held down
Safari Mac fires keypress events when command is held down
Safari Mac fires keypress events when ctrl is held down

Chromium Win fires keypress events for some keys when ctrl is held down
Chromium Linux fires keypress events for some keys when ctrl is held
down (matches chromium windows)
Chromium Mac does not fire keypress events when command is held down
Chromium Mac does not fire keypress events when ctrl is held down

There are two possible solutions to this problem.

1. Always fire keypress events no matter what modifiers are held down
2. Do not fire keypress events unless content would be generated

[1] IE8 fires keypress events for Ctrl+G,I,M,U,V,X,Y,Z in non editable
mode and fewer depending on what kind of editable region has focus.

--
erik