[webkit-dev] Keypress event for ctrl+key and/or ⌘+key?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Oct 19 18:03:24 PDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:

> I'm trying to clean up some inconsistencies with when keypress events
> are dispatched.
>
> WebKit's key event model is modeled to be compatible with Internet
> Explorer and Internet Explorer does not fire keypress for Ctrl+key [1]

The key event model was designed to be as compatible as possible with
both IE and firefox, so it would be helpful to know the firefox
behaviour.

> Safari Win does not fire any keypress events when ctrl is held down
> Safari Mac fires keypress events when command is held down
> Safari Mac fires keypress events when ctrl is held down
>
> Chromium Win fires keypress events for some keys when ctrl is held
> down
> Chromium Linux fires keypress events for some keys when ctrl is held
> down (matches chromium windows)
> Chromium Mac does not fire keypress events when command is held down
> Chromium Mac does not fire keypress events when ctrl is held down
>
> There are two possible solutions to this problem.
>
> 1. Always fire keypress events no matter what modifiers are held down
> 2. Do not fire keypress events unless content would be generated

Expected behaviour is for key events to be sent regardless of ctrl/
command pressed.

The real issue is whether application shortcuts get precedence over
DOM event handlers, currently on mac the DOM event handlers get
precedence (and thus the ability to override/prevent application
shortcuts) and on windows they don't.  This is entirely a byproduct of
implementation and the difference really isn't something we want.

--Oliver