[webkit-dev] Selection highlight painting ("gaps"?)

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Mon Oct 19 13:21:06 PDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:
> I can get how editing in text fields you might feel a desire to
> match the platform (where ragged selection may be the convention),
> but once you get into rich text selection (images, floats, tables,
> columns, etc.), there really is no platform precedent.  Other
> browsers just kind of lazily include a few more objects like images
> and call it a day.  We tried to do better than that.
>
> I've actually been super frustrated with WebKit's selection behavior
> for a long time, precisely because it tries to let you select
> everything.  In Firefox, in most cases* you just select the text out
> of a page, which is pretty much always what I want.  In  Chrome I
> find that I'm always managing to select an entire page or entire
> table or various other things when I'm just trying to get the text
> out of it.  Darin (Fisher) has also complained to me about this in
> the past

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Do you just mean it looks visually
confusing, but when you copy/paste you get the right text?  Or are you
saying that it's actually selecting the wrong things?  The gaps are a
purely visual phenomenon, and they don't affect what gets copied... if
you're seeing the wrong stuff get copied, then that won't be fixed by
a setting to stop painting gaps.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)