[webkit-dev] Selection highlight painting ("gaps"?)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Oct 19 13:27:01 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Do you just mean it looks visually
> confusing, but when you copy/paste you get the right text?  Or are you
> saying that it's actually selecting the wrong things?

There are two different effects that interrelate:
* WebKit allows you to select anything on a page.  Repro: Go to any page,
start at top, drag down, note that you select everything.  Desired behavior:
Only select the text from the page.

* Lack of gaps on text selection.  This is only a visual artifact, but it
can make it trickier to tell that you've "just" selected text, as opposed to
a containing object.  Increases the frustration of the above bullet point.

Fixing point 2 alone would make it easier to tell when point 1 is tripping
things up, because it would make it easier in general to determine what is
selected.  It would also feel far less strange given that, as Evan said,
this is how selection works on Windows.  This has long been one of the
things that makes Chrome feel to me like a badly-ported Mac app w.r.t. text
handling.

PK