[webkit-dev] Selection highlight painting ("gaps"?)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Oct 19 13:19:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> I can get how editing in text fields you might feel a desire to match the
> platform (where ragged selection may be the convention), but once you get
> into rich text selection (images, floats, tables, columns, etc.), there
> really is no platform precedent.  Other browsers just kind of lazily include
> a few more objects like images and call it a day.  We tried to do better
> than that.

I've actually been super frustrated with WebKit's selection behavior for a
long time, precisely because it tries to let you select everything.  In
Firefox, in most cases* you just select the text out of a page, which is
pretty much always what I want.  In  Chrome I find that I'm always managing
to select an entire page or entire table or various other things when I'm
just trying to get the text out of it.  Darin (Fisher) has also complained
to me about this in the past

Combined with this frustration, not having the Windows-standard edge on text
selection makes it hard for me to tell what I have selected.  The net effect
is that selecting things in Chrome has driven me insane for several years
now.

Therefore I'm strongly in favor of reducing what Chrome will actually let
you select, as well as eliminating the gaps.

*: Haven't tested the edge cases in a while

PK