[webkit-dev] SharedWorkers alternate design

Dmitry Titov dimich at chromium.org
Wed Jun 17 19:39:58 PDT 2009

> I think there is still little clarity around the appcache behavior (dimich:
>> are you bring over your "shadow frame" concept to webkit?).
>>

> I'm wondering about bringing the 'shadow frame' technique to webcore too?

If needs be :-)

Just to explain what is meant by 'shadow frame' (I'm not sure it was
discussed in webkit-dev beore): to provide access to FrameLoader in Chrome's
Worker process (which loads WebKit but doesn't load any html, just creates a
worker out of JS string), we create a WebView and load it from a (url,
encoding, mimtype, data) source with empty data and the worker's url. This
creates a frame with a an empty document but with a right origin and
encoding. This makes it possible to create a ThreadableLoader (and
underlying DocumentThreadableLoader) w/o aceess to the original worker's
parent. This loader is used to implement XHR and importScripts in Chrome
workers. Oriinally a Darin Fisher's idea, it was implemented as alternative
to rollign out a new frame-less loader.

Shared workers can use the same approach since they can not forever hold the
ref to the 'creating' document.

Dmitry