[webkit-dev] How to find a WebKit Nightly corresponding roughly to particular Safari version

Thomas Jaggi thomas.jaggi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:03:27 PDT 2009

Am 15.06.2009 um 16:55 schrieb Adam Roben:

> On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Thomas Jaggi wrote:
>
>> Hello there
>>
>> I'm new to this list and hope it's the right place to get rid of my
>> question. Otherwise I want to apologize.
>>
>> Well, I'd like to download a WebKit Nightly Build which corresponds
>> roughly to Safari 3.2.3 (respectively 2.0.4). There is a version
>> matrix on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Safari_(web_browser) ) but since the Nightly Builds are numbered
>> differently it's quite complicated. I tried downloading and
>> checking some of them with a detection script but that takes quite
>> some time. Is there anywhere a matrix which compares Nightly Builds
>> and the versions which made it into Safari? I doesn't have to be
>> exactly the same, I only need them for CSS testing.
>
> In general you can look at http://trac.webkit.org/browser/releases/Apple
>  to see what Subversion revisions correspond to various releases of
> Safari. Most/all releases are made from a branch, and nightlies are
> made from trunk, so the nightlies won't match the release exactly.
>
> It looks like Safari 3.2.3 (and 3.2.2) is missing from that page.
> Mark Rowe might know why. Safari 2.0.4 predates when we started
> making tags of Safari releases in Subvesion.
>
> -Adam

Hi Adam

Thanks for your help. If I got that right, 38725 would correspond to
Safari 3.2.1 (http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/38725). Using the
'official' detection script with 38707 (the last version before the
non-existing 38725) I'm told "Your WebKit version number is 528.5".
But according to Wikipedia this would be Safari 4. Am I doing
something wrong?

Thomas