[webkit-dev] How to find a WebKit Nightly corresponding roughly to particular Safari version

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Mon Jun 15 09:31:49 PDT 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Thomas Jaggi wrote:

> Thanks for your help. If I got that right, 38725 would correspond to
> Safari 3.2.1 (http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/38725). Using the
> 'official' detection script with 38707 (the last version before the
> non-existing 38725) I'm told "Your WebKit version number is 528.5".
> But according to Wikipedia this would be Safari 4. Am I doing
> something wrong?

Unfortunately, due to branching, changeset numbers are not sufficient
by themselves. Releases are done on branches. The changeset of the
branch doesn't tell you what changeset on the main trunk is closest to
that version. Typically it just indicates the latest main trunk
changeset at the moment the release was tagged, which could be long
after the release was done.

     -- Darin