[webkit-dev] webkit C++ style checking tool

Shinichiro Hamaji hamaji at chromium.org
Fri Jul 31 19:55:29 PDT 2009

Hi folks,

> Adam Treat, David Levin, Jakob Petsovits, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen, and I
have been working on ./WebKitTools/Scripts/check-webkit-style to check code
for WebKit style violations. Let me introduce the tool to you.

Simply, check your current patch by running the tool:

% ./WebKitTools/Scripts/check-webkit-style

This checks the files you have modified locally. If any style issues are
found in a line that you modified, it outputs a warning for the violation.

If you are using git, you can use the tool for your local commits:

% ./WebKitTools/Scripts/check-webkit-style --git-commit=HEAD~1

You can also run the tool for specified file(s):

% ./WebKitTools/Scripts/check-webkit-style WebCore/rendering/RenderBox.cpp
% ./WebKitTools/Scripts/check-webkit-style WebCore/rendering/*.cpp

I believe this tool can save the time for both reviewers/reviewees, so I'm
inviting you to try it out on your patches. Also, if you find any issues or
desire certain improvements, please file bugs.

Thanks!

PS Special thanks to Albert Wong for getting a WebKit compatible license on
the cpplint.py code, David Kilzer and Eric Seidel for helpful feature
suggestions, and Mark Rowe for nudging us toward a good name for the tool.

Sorry if I missed anyone.