[webkit-dev] parallel layout research

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Jul 31 17:25:29 PDT 2009

I think parallel layout is an interesting topic to explore, in light
of where CPUs are going. We probably can't use code in Cilk++
directly, but there might be useful ideas. It also seems to me from
their paper that they are only handling some of the more basic aspects
of CSS layout so far. Definitely interesting research for us to follow.

One thing to keep in mind - parallelizing layout or other CSS
operations may not be the most effective solution to any given
problem. If there are Google properties that are gated on layout
performance, then by all means file bugs and this is the sort of thing
we can likely investigate and greatly optimize without having to
completely rearchitect layout. We have had a lot of success with
improving layout performance given test cases that demonstrate slowness.

Regards,
Maciej