[webkit-dev] CSS Animations and SVG

Harry Underwood raynenamibia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 07:57:29 PST 2009

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this particular
question, but I wanted to hear it from the WebKit devs themselves.
Do the CSS Animations, Transitions, Transforms and Transforms 3D modules
that are being proposed by Apple and currently included in WebKit inclusive
of the SVG spec, or is it exclusive to interaction with xHTML as far as
stylesheet-markup interaction is concerned? And is the status quo subject to
change in this regard?

I wanted to ask this because, if CSS Animations could be combined with SVG
markup, it would really change the definition of web animation from
something that is best left scripted to something that could be styled.
Plus, for those WYSIWYG HTML editors which may come to support this module
given the success of WebKit's propogation, it would mean that people could
create animations on their web pages using HTML editor+Inkscape, rather than
HTML editor+Ikivo Animator (in other words, less need for shareware to do
this job).

I asked about this on the SVG Developers mailing list, but one of the more
frequent denizens stated that he and others on the list felt that the draft
was too underdefined to tell about interactions between SVG and CSS
Animations. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.svg.devel/45508

Rayne