[webkit-dev] test scripts

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:26:06 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> I'd prefer to have as few test commands as possible.  Ideally, I
> should just be able to run the grand unified test suite and know that
> my patch is ok to commit.  There's some advantages to breaking out the
> JSC tests from the WebCore tests so we can avoid building WebCore when
> testing JSC.  Similarly, there's an advantage to breaking out the
> tests of interpreted code from compiled code to avoid unnecessary
> compilation.  However, I don't see the advantage of dividing the Perl
> tests from the Python tests.

I agree with exposing higher-level test commands and having a single
script that tests both the Perl and Python code (e.g.
test-webkit-scripts).

For encapsulation purposes and to let the Perl tests be called more
easily from other languages, it may still be useful to have a single
script that runs all the Perl unit tests (and similarly for Python).
If we wanted to, we could perhaps move those language-specific scripts
to a sub-folder so the end user won't see them.

--Chris