[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Fri Aug 28 14:20:25 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Ojan Vafai<ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> Does anyone actually have any objections to Maciej's proposal?
> "I can imagine a discipline where we ensure that pending commit entries sit
> in a designated file in your tree, are made by a tool much like
> prepare-ChangeLog, are included in patches by svn-create-patch, are applied
> by svn-apply-patch, and are used by commit-log-editor. That would ensure the
> entries go through the patch life cycle just as much as currently."
> Slightly more concrete. prepare-ChangeLog is modified to create a
> ".changelog" file in the root of your checkout. Then svn-create-patch,
> svn-apply-patch and commit-log-editor all use the .changelog file to prepend
> your change description to the actual ChangeLog file before doing their
> thing.
> Are there any downsides to that proposal?
> Ojan

You'd probably still want to do an explicit 'svn update' on the
changelogs immediately prior to prepending them, to minimize the
window for a commit race, but it's probably good enough in most cases.
Assuming there is no way to get an atomic prepend, of course.

I much prefer this approach to the "roll the changelog once a day" approach.

-- Dirk