[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Fri Aug 28 13:37:11 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2009, at 1:15 PM, David Kilzer wrote:

>>> Agreed.  If it's done daily, Trac would be a good way to look
>>> at what's happened very recently.
>>>

>> This would make it impossible to track a single ChangeLog entry back to
>> the original commit using git/svn annotate/blame, but the new process could
>> add the commit revision to each ChangeLog entry automatically when it
>> generates the update, thus achieving some level of ChangeLog-nirvana.

Does anyone actually have any objections to Maciej's proposal?

"I can imagine a discipline where we ensure that pending commit entries sit
in a designated file in your tree, are made by a tool much like
prepare-ChangeLog, are included in patches by svn-create-patch, are applied
by svn-apply-patch, and are used by commit-log-editor. That would ensure the
entries go through the patch life cycle just as much as currently."

Slightly more concrete. prepare-ChangeLog is modified to create a
".changelog" file in the root of your checkout. Then svn-create-patch,
svn-apply-patch and commit-log-editor all use the .changelog file to prepend
your change description to the actual ChangeLog file before doing their
thing.

Are there any downsides to that proposal?

Ojan