[webkit-dev] Qtish API for JavaScriptCore

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Thu Aug 27 14:42:57 PDT 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 10:09:38 am ext Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2009/8/26 Simon Hausmann <hausmann at kde.org>:
> > Hi fellow WebKit contributors!
> >
> > Currently the Qt port of WebKit merely provides an API to deal with
> > rendering web content, and as such our interface to the underlying
> > JavaScriptCore engine is minimal.
> >
> > We, the team of Qt developers at Nokia and INdT, would like to add a C++
> > Qt API to JavaScriptCore as well, to allow application developers to for
> > example embed the JavaScriptCore engine into their applications.
> >
> > We want to give developers the ability to introspect the environment,
> > inject custom classes and call functions using a C++ API that uses Qt
> > types and has a Qt-ish feel to it.
>
> While binding Qt objects to JS is certainly a nice feature, I'd really
> like to see the JSC API supported as well. There are already many
> projects that enable ice-cool stuff through the JSC API (eg. Seed and
> our D-Bus Bridge) and the only missing piece in getting them to work
> as-is for QtWebKit is to get the JS Context.

If the JSContextRef is just an enabler to combine existing components then I
think that would make sense. I would prefer to leave that as an
undocumented/internal getter though (which we can still keep stable).

> It would be a shame if QtWebKit projects would be missing out all that
> coolness just because the JSC API isn't Qt-ish enough to expose. It's
> not like every project will start to carry two implementations.

Note that with the current way of compile time abstractions to for example
threading and unicode handling it's not possible to mix a glib based JSC
library with QtWebKit on top.

Simon