[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Wed Aug 26 15:26:35 PDT 2009

I am so sick of Changelogs.  Every time I get a patch ready to land, I
end up being blocked on commit because of conflicts in the stupid
ChangeLog files.  Often even after I resolve conflicts, someone checks
in again, and then I get conflicts all over again.

If I have to make a minor change because of a code review, I often
don't feel like I can even re-run layout tests, because waiting even 5
minutes just means I'm going to have conflicts again!

Having everyone in the project hitting the same file when all of this
information could be specified as part of checkin messages is just
crazy.  How much productivity has been lost from everyone having to
fix that stupid file... we've even written whole scripts just to deal
with merge headaches from this file.

What purpose do these stupid files even serve at this point?

They need to die.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)