[webkit-dev] Qtish API for JavaScriptCore

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 01:09:38 PDT 2009

2009/8/26 Simon Hausmann <hausmann at kde.org>:
> Hi fellow WebKit contributors!
>
> Currently the Qt port of WebKit merely provides an API to deal with rendering
> web content, and as such our interface to the underlying JavaScriptCore engine
> is minimal.
>
> We, the team of Qt developers at Nokia and INdT, would like to add a C++ Qt
> API to JavaScriptCore as well, to allow application developers to for example
> embed the JavaScriptCore engine into their applications.
>
> We want to give developers the ability to introspect the environment, inject
> custom classes and call functions using a C++ API that uses Qt types and has a
> Qt-ish feel to it.

While binding Qt objects to JS is certainly a nice feature, I'd really
like to see the JSC API supported as well. There are already many
projects that enable ice-cool stuff through the JSC API (eg. Seed and
our D-Bus Bridge) and the only missing piece in getting them to work
as-is for QtWebKit is to get the JS Context.

It would be a shame if QtWebKit projects would be missing out all that
coolness just because the JSC API isn't Qt-ish enough to expose. It's
not like every project will start to carry two implementations.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi