[webkit-dev] Using JavaScriptCore in Win32

Brian Barnes ggadwa at charter.net
Mon Aug 10 13:14:26 PDT 2009

Brent Fulgham wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Brian Barnes<ggadwa at charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Darin Adler wrote:
>>
>>> I believe if you leave it out of the path, then you will get stdbool.h and
>>> stdint.h from Visual Studio itself and everything will be fine.
>>>

>> There is no such file (stdbool or stdint) for MSVC 9, hence my current
>> problems :)  I don't think they've ever had it.  I copied over yours to
>> attempt the compile.  Note that it would be rather dangerous to use a DLL
>> compiled with different bool's then what I was having in the headers, which
>> is also my desire to get the proper compile for the headers.
>>

> I put together an example Windows port of the Apple Developer CallJS
> example (http://idisk.mac.com/bfulgham-Public/CallJS.zip).  In it, I
> put together a "WebKit SDK" folder with headers, link libraries, and
> dlls for everything.
>
> The Apple port (which you cannot redistribute to end users) requires
> (among other things) Apple's CoreFoundation library.  The
> CoreFoundation build dependencies include stdbool and stdint header
> files.   The WinCairo port uses the freely redistributable CFLite
> library, which includes effectively the same stdbool/stdint headers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Brent
OK, but what I want is JavaScriptCore only, to integrate with my game
engine (which right now uses SpiderMonkey, the one in FireFox.)  I'm
hoping that I can get this code alone with the minimal of dependencies,
but it seems it hasn't fully been untangled in places.

It has no interface, it should require very little (or no) additional
libraries.

BTW, this isn't a rant at all -- I'm happy with getting anything and
thank you for all the work you guys have done -- I just know this isn't
a focus so it's not something that was probably worked out, which is why
I'm trying to help.

I'm going to try to hack my way into whatever the minimal dependencies
for JSC and only JSC, and see what I can come up with, and places where
maybe the code could be altered to make it more independent.

I *suspect* my biggest trouble is going to come from the CFString that
are in there.  It would be nice to have a #define where I could ignore
those on other platforms (and just use the C strings.)  Again, you folks
have done a wonderful job with this, I'm not complaining, just trying to
help, it's such a new and clean code base, that's one of the reasons I
moved to it.

[>] Brian