[webkit-dev] Fwd: WebKit and Khronos Group

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Sun Aug 9 01:18:30 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2009, at 11:58 PM, Harry Underwood wrote:
>
> Thanks very much for the explanations, everyone. Sorry about the long chain
> of questions, but I wanted to form a FAQ-type basis for future questions
> regarding the difference between what Apple and WebKit are doing with
> SVG+CSS and what Google and Khronos Group are doing with O3D vs. WebGL,
>

> Even that way of framing it sounds potentially inaccurate. Some
> corrections:
>
> - Neither Apple nor WebKit are specifically trying to do something with
> SVG+CSS. We do support SVG, and we have some CSS extensions, but we're not
> especially pushing this combination.
>
> - We're hoping others adopt our 3D CSS transforms, just as our 2D CSS
> transforms and CSS transitions have gotten interest from Mozilla and others.
>
> - Apple, along with Google, Mozilla, Khronos Group and others, is actively
> supporting WebGL.
>
> - O3D is, at least for now, a Google-only technology.

I'm not on the O3D team, but it's my understanding that they're trying to
get O3D (or some sort of retained mode 3D API) on a standards track....so
hopefully it won't be "Google-only" for much longer.  :-)

Also note that O3D is open source software (
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/o3d/) and is available as a
plugin for many browsers (not sure which ones specifically, though).  So
maybe "plugin-only" is a better way to describe it at the moment?

> - None of these technologies serve quite the same purpose.
>
> at least because a number (a minority, most likely) of people are highly
> interested in the post-VRML "3D Web" nowadays.
>

> There's definitely a lot of people interested in 3D. It would be good to
> collect the information about this.

I think Maciej summed things up very precisely (besides my one nit of a
comment).