[webkit-dev] browser extensions

Patrick Mueller pmuellr at muellerware.org
Wed Apr 15 09:06:38 PDT 2009

Now that the Chrome folks have talked about extensions, I thought I'd
ask what the story/plan is for WebKit.

   http://www.aaronboodman.com/2009/04/content-scripts-in-chromium.html

So ... I guess the first question is, are extensions considered
out-of-scope for WebKit?  As in, more of a browser thing than a toolkit
thing?  It's easy to see this going either way; 'portable' extensions
will be hard, especially given any browser specific things you might
want extensions to do; on the other hand, having all the WebKit
consumers out there having a common extension story would obviously be
very useful.

As an alternative to a full-on extension story, or maybe in addition to,
you could look at the way inspector is implemented as a form of
extension, perhaps just applicable for use by folks actively developing
products with WebKit, as opposed to consumers of those products.  I
haven't looked deep enough into inspector to see if it's built on some
extensibility story or not.

I perused the wiki and web site in general, didn't notice any discussion
on this, but of course, just point me to it if it's already there.

--
Patrick Mueller