[webkit-dev] WebKit memory management?

Ariya Hidayat ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com
Mon Sep 15 08:53:16 PDT 2008

> It might be beneficial on long term use, where memory
> allocation/deallocation will have created fragmentation, making the process
> need a lot of virtual memory because it can't fill the holes, making the
> whole thing be a memory hog. Tcmalloc has usually less fragmentation.

Sure, that's also what make me interested in offering another malloc
implementation, at least for QtWebKit. However, in our case (Qt, not
necessarily applies to other use cases), it does make more sense to have an
optional, alternative global implementation. This implies no change in
(Qt)WebKit code at all.

--
Ariya Hidayat (ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com)
Software Engineer, Trolltech (a Nokia company)