[webkit-dev] WebKit memory management?

Ariya Hidayat ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com
Tue Sep 16 06:20:17 PDT 2008

> As paul had mentioned, typically on an embedded platform you would want the
> webkit library to work in a bounded memory (<10Mb) and signal an OOM
> condition if it crosses that and recover gracefully(either cleanup
> caches/history, stop loading current page, restart the app if nothing
> possible) without impacting the system. you dont want this to happen too
> often in production build, but how can you guarantee with current
> implementation?

Though I kind of agree that a custom allocator is the first step towards this,
I guess graceful handling of memory problem would require much more bigger
and massive changes in the code.

I have no experience doing such thing, but looking at the current state of
WebKit code, I reckon the effort would not be trivial.

--
Ariya Hidayat (ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com)
Software Engineer, Trolltech (a Nokia company)