[webkit-dev] website installation instructions correction

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 08:36:33 PST 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Jack Wootton wrote:

> On this page http://webkit.org/building/tools.html. The last
> instruction of Step 2 is
>
> /*****************************************/
> "In addition to the paths specified in step 3 of the Platform SDK
> installation instructions, you must also add the following include
> path. Update the Visual C++ directories in the Projects and Solutions
> section in the Options dialog box:
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
> R2\Include\mfc"
> /*****************************************/
>
> This is ambiguous and confusing since 'paths' are added using the
> 'show directories for' drop down menu.  The 'show directories for'
> drop down menu contains the following options:
>
> Executable files
> Include files
> Reference files
> Library files
> Source files
> Exclude directories

You want to add it to "Include files", thus the mention of "include
path". I agree we can make it even more clear.

> How is the reader supposed to know which option to select when adding
> the additional path specified in Step 2?  The instruction is further
> rendered useless because of the confusing spacing and single type face
> used for
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
> R2\Include\mfc"

What do you find confusing about it? I believe you should be able to
cut and paste the string. We can use a monospace font for this path if
you think it would help.

> Can this be corrected so that the instructions are meaningful and can
> someone advise me as to how I add the additional path?

Does the above help?

  - Maciej